Respite is provided on a needs basis, and people wishing to access respite are required to work through the Access Process, in line with Disability Legislation. Kyeema is the sole provider in the Glenelg Shire and programs are specifically designed to match target groups, comprising of both adults and children.
Respite is conducted across 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
On Call support number is 0417 156 239
Kyeema Respite provides respite for families, in a variety of ways.
• Facility Based – A 5 bedroom, 2 living area, centrally located house in Portland . This comfortable and well appointed house can sleep up to 4 people (plus emergency bed) and has a Support Staff sleepover room. The open plan living areas are large, welcoming, and comfortable. Nutritious meals are provided.
• Breakaway Days – Two sessions per month are held for adults and children separately. These sessions are held on weekends only.
- They are fun & educational
- Provide community access
- Encourage participation and integration
• In Home Respite is available, if other options are not suitable
• School Holiday Programs are held twice weekly during school holidays
• Teen R & R is for people aged between 13 – 18 years of age. This program is held weekly, with additional activities during school holiday periods. The program is staffed by a youthful support team and activities are geared towards outdoor activities and social interaction.
• The Travoltas – Kyeema has a rock band, “The Travoltas”, who perform at various venues and rehearse regularly at the 50 Lalor St centre.